Volunteers are tremendous resource for any organization, but for nonprofits, they are they epicenter. Working without compensation to benefit those most in need is a selfless act that we at the Corona Norco United Way take very seriously. It is our goal to offer volunteer opportunites for all, including individuals, groups, one-time, short-term, long-term, on-going, and eveything in between. While we hope to offer a range of in-person opportunities by Fall 2021, we are still limited due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
In addition to simply helping your communtiy and beefing up your resume, there are many other benefits to volunteering:
- Volunteering connects you to others: It's a 2-way street. It can benefit you and your family as much as the cause you choose to help. Dedicating your time as a volunteer helps you make new friends, expand your network, and boost your social skills.
- Volunteering helps you make new friends and contacts: One of the best ways to make new friends and strengthen existing relationships is to commit to a shared activity together. Volunteering is a great way to meet new people, especially if you are new to an area. Volunteering also strengthens your ties to the community and broadens your support network, exposing you to people with common interests, neighborhood resources, and fun and fulfilling activities.
- Volunteering increases your social and relationship skills: While some people are naturally outgoing, others are shy and have a hard time meeting new people. Volunteering gives you the opportunity to practice and develop your social skills, since you are meeting regularly with a group of people with common interests. Once you have momentum, it’s easier to branch out and make more friends and contacts.
Current Volunteer Opportunities
Homework Club Tutor Volunteer (Non-Paid)
Under direct supervision of the Children Youth Success Program (CYSP) Manager, tutors provide academic support and feedback to students between grades 3rd – 11th, teach study techniques, and review course materials. Tutors will meet with students online for a one-hour session on the days and times of their choice. Tutors over the age of 18 must request a background check through Sterling at their own expense of $37.00 plus any additional fees.
- Provide a high level of discretion and confidentiality
- Create a welcoming and safe space where students are encouraged and motivated
- Review class material with students; assist in test preparation, test-taking skills, note-taking; oversee the completion of school assignments, CYSP assessments, CYSP supporting material in a timely manner
- Attend meetings provided for tutors and arrive on time
- Communicate all progress to the Program Manager, including, but not limited to, attendance, unsatisfactory progress in sessions, additional difficulties encountered during the tutoring session
- Assist Program Manager in classroom organization including, but not limited, to making copies, material distribution, classroom set-up, and other tasks
Skills and Qualifications:
- At least 16 years of age
- Complete screening process: application, clear background check (18+ only), and interview
- Demonstrate proficiency in the subject(s) they plan on teaching
- Positive role model that inspires compassion, patience, and empathy
- Assertive communication that creates a positive tutor-tutee relationship