Homework Club Tutor Volunteer (Non-Paid)
Under direct supervision of the Children Youth Success Program (CYSP) Manager, tutors provide academic support and feedback to students between grades 3rd – 11th, teach study techniques, and review course materials. Tutors will meet with students online for a one-hour session on the days and times of their choice. Tutors over the age of 18 must request a background check through Sterling at their own expense of $37.00 plus any additional fees.
- Provide a high level of discretion and confidentiality
- Create a welcoming and safe space where students are encouraged and motivated
- Review class material with students; assist in test preparation, test-taking skills, note-taking; oversee the completion of school assignments, CYSP assessments, CYSP supporting material in a timely manner.
- Attend meetings provided for tutors and arrive on time
- Communicate all progress to the Program Manager, including, but not limited to, attendance, unsatisfactory progress in sessions, additional difficulties encountered during the tutoring session
- Assist Program Manager in classroom organization including, but not limited, to making copies, material distribution, classroom set-up, and other tasks
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- At least 16 years of age
- Complete screening process: application, clear background check (18+ only), and interview.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the subject(s) they plan on teaching
- Positive role model that inspires compassion, patience, and empathy
- Assertive communication that creates a positive tutor-tutee relationship